A lot of smart people opt to purchase a home warranty. Not only is this a good way to save money, but it also brings peace of mind. A new home comes with several warranties for the roof, plumbing, electrical system, and so on. Also, if the purchase includes new appliances, these items also have protection under the manufacturer’s warranty.
However, it’s quite different for an existing home. In that case, one of the best things an individual can do is invest in a home warranty. That involves buying a plan through a company that specializes in this type of coverage.
Remember, not all home warranty contracts are the same. For one thing, they cover different items. For instance, one plan may cover electronics such as laptops, smartphones, or tablets, while another plan is for another item. Also, the amount of both the premium and out-of-pocket service fee varies.
The goal is to select a home warranty that provides the type of protection you want and at a price that fits your budget.
What About Property Managers?
If you don’t live near the house that you own or have too many things on your plate, you can always use the services of a property manager. Depending on the agreement, the company you go with ensures property upkeep – both inside and outside, collects rent if you lease the property, and handles various issues that arise.
To benefit from optimal protection, consider a property management company that purchases a home warranty plan for your residence. To determine if that makes sense, compare the pros and cons.
- Double Protection – Using the services of a property manager and having a home warranty means you have double protection. The company taking care of your house will take care of whatever things they can but have a backup in the form of a home warranty if needed.
- Early Detection – By using both services, there’s a better chance of a problem getting detected while it’s still minor. As an example, a property manager might discover the air conditioner isn’t working properly. By having it checked right away, a service technician might deem it a simple and inexpensive fix.
Otherwise, the unit could operate to the point that it stops working altogether. Although you still have a home warranty, it might not provide the full amount needed to replace the unit, whereas the initial repair wouldn’t have cost much.
So, utilizing the services of a property manager and having a home warranty could prevent you from spending money unnecessarily.
- Fast Service – A property manager can make one simple phone call and quickly have a qualified technician or contractor at your home. This is especially helpful if you rent the house and have tenants ready to move in or someone already living there.
- Mediation – Fortunately, the best home warranty companies offer outstanding service. Their representatives are patient, thorough, and truly eager to assist. Unfortunately, some companies make filing a claim difficult. If any issues arise, the property manager takes care of them. That prevents you from dealing with a stressful situation.
- Cost – Probably the biggest drawback of using a property management service and going with one of the best home warranty contracts available has to do with money. Both these services come at a price.
- Approved Experts – For some home warranty contracts, the homeowner can choose the technician or contractor to handle a job. However, it’s more common for the company to have a list of experts they use. Although these individuals are highly qualified, there’s a slight chance of having someone show up who doesn’t have the level of expertise you prefer.
The Bottom Line
As you can see, there are few disadvantages of using the services of a property management company and having a home warranty. For both, though, remember to go with a reputable source. Equally important, you should have the final in the home warranty contract your property manager uses.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.